Small Change®: Understanding Change & Transition
A CPD programme for the cultural sector – designed to help you explore change and transition and how it impacts on your work
Are you full of ideas for developing your organisation's schools offer but are unsure where to start? Do you want to help improve cultural education in London but feel that you can only have a limited impact on your own?
This programme will:
- Give you permission to succeed through making small, realistic changes
- Provide an opportunity for you to meet others in your field facing similar issues
- Allow you to share experiences and support each other
- Help you explore something you might want to work on in more detail
Small Change® is based on an action learning method and turns the usual approach to change on its head. Facilitated and developed by Dr Dawn Langley, it encourages you to think about the small things you can do right now at no or low cost to improve the way you work, instead of focussing on big goals that can feel daunting and overwhelming.
The programme is designed for up to 30 individuals to undertake a series of manageable, progressive changes in their practice, that are self-identified and supported.
The approach is based on a simple principle - ‘small changes can have a big impact’.
The learnings have stayed embedded in my work - I actually just used them to break down objectives I've set myself in my appraisal into a small short-term achievable and start with action.
- Small Change programme participant 2019
Being a part of the Small Change programme has significant personal and organisational benefits:
- Access to tools to negotiate change: the programme provides a range of techniques and tools that can be used for group and organisational change, from appraisals, to project management and strategy development
- Confidence in managing complex project objectives: participants are supported to develop individual approaches to approaching workloadsthat are manageable and achieve positive outcomes
- Access to peer support and connections: Small Change encourages a peer development approach to ongoing learning. Participants make lasting connections with other organisations to share learning and good practice
- Support and space: participants access support to developfresh ideas and perspectives andspace toiron outchallenges
It was very useful to explore experiences within a wider professional framework that recognised impacts of organisational change …I retain a sense of agency in terms of improving my/others ability to cope with change…
- Small Change programme participant 2019
The programme will take place across the following fortnightly meetings from 2-5-pm:
- Session #1: Wednesday 15th January - Toynbee Hall (Ashbee Hall) 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS
- Session #2: Wednesday 29th January - Toynbee Hall (Ashbee Hall) 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS
- Session #3: 12th February - Toynbee Hall (Ashbee Hall) 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS
- Session #4: 26th February - St Pancras Room, Lift Islington, White Lion Street, The Angel, London N1 9PW
Frequently asked questions
Who can apply?
Small Change is open to people working within cultural, arts and heritage organisations, who are at a juncture in their career or are beginning something new. We are unable to offer places to individual practitioners.
Are there limited places?
Yes, there are 30 places on this programme.
What is the time commitment?
You will need to commit to attending 4 three-hour sessions over two months, and get sign off from your line manager in your Expression of Interest.
What will be expected of me?
We would ask you to contribute as fully as possible. The sessions will be developed with you so you will be invited to feedback as we go. We will ask you to contribute to evaluating progress, individually and collectively and that you write a collective or individual blog to help reflect on your journey. We welcome your ideas and insights.
I participated in the programme last year, can I apply again?
Unfortunately, not. If you attended the 8-week programme last year we are unable to offer you a place this time.
Applications for this programme are now closed
Sign up to our newsletter to stay up to date.
Small Change® is a registered trademark of Alchemy Research & Consultancy, who will be delivering the programme on behalf of A New Direction.