Small Change 2020®: Understanding Change & Transition
A New Direction is delighted to invite cultural organisations to apply for our third year of the Small Change® CPD programme, delivered in partnership with Alchemy Research & Consultancy, and Dr Dawn Langley
Are you full of ideas for developing cultural education but not sure where to start? Do you want to change cultural education in London but feel that you can only have a limited impact on your own? Do you feel like you are running flat out just to stand still? Does the thought of yet more change feel overwhelming?
We are all working in a full-on world. While this creates some amazing opportunities, it can leave us feeling a bit frazzled.
This programme is designed to help you explore change and transition and how it impacts on your work. It will:
- Give you permission to succeed through making small, realistic changes
- Provide an opportunity for you to meet others in your field facing similar issues
- Allow you to share experiences and support each other
- Help you explore something you might want to work on in more detail.
Small Change® is based on an action learning method and turns the usual approach to change on its head. Facilitated and developed by Dr Dawn Langley, it encourages you to think about the small things you can do right now at no or low cost to improve the way you work, instead of focussing on big goals that can feel daunting and overwhelming.
The programme is designed for up to 30 individuals to undertake a series of manageable, progressive changes in their practice, that are self-identified and supported.
The approach is based on a simple principle - ‘small changes can have a big impact’.
It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.
- Chinese proverb
The learnings have stayed embedded in my work - I actually just used them to break down objectives I've set myself in my appraisal into a small short-term achievable and start with action.
- Small Change programme participant 2019
Being a part of the Small Change programme has significant personal and organisational benefits:
- Access to tools to negotiate change: the programme provides a range of techniques and tools that can be used for group and organisational change, from appraisals, to project management and strategy development
- Confidence in managing complex project objectives: participants are supported to develop individual approaches to approaching workloadsthat are manageable and achieve positive outcomes
- Access to peer support and connections: Small Change encourages a peer development approach to ongoing learning. Participants make lasting connections with other organisations to share learning and good practice
- Support and space: participants access support to developfresh ideas and perspectives andspace toiron outchallenges
It was very useful to explore experiences within a wider professional framework that recognised impacts of organisational change …I retain a sense of agency in terms of improving my/others ability to cope with change…
- Small Change programme participant 2019
The programme will take place across the following fortnightly meetings from 2-5-pm:
- Session #1: Wednesday 15th January - Toynbee Hall (Ashbee Hall) 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS
- Session #2: Wednesday 29th January - Toynbee Hall (Ashbee Hall) 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS
- Session #3: 12th February - Toynbee Hall (Ashbee Hall) 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS
- Session #4: 26th February - St Pancras Room, Lift Islington, White Lion Street, The Angel, London N1 9PW
Frequently asked questions
Who can apply?
Small Change is open to people working within cultural, arts and heritage organisations, who are at a juncture in their career or are beginning something new. We are unable to offer places to individual practitioners.
Are there limited places?
Yes, there are 30 places on this programme.
What is the time commitment?
You will need to commit to attending 4 three-hour sessions over two months, and get sign off from your line manager in your Expression of Interest.
What will be expected of me?
We would ask you to contribute as fully as possible. The sessions will be developed with you so you will be invited to feedback as we go. We will ask you to contribute to evaluating progress, individually and collectively and that you write a collective or individual blog to help reflect on your journey. We welcome your ideas and insights.
I participated in the programme last year, can I apply again?
Unfortunately, not. If you attended the 8-week programme last year we are unable to offer you a place this time.
How to apply
Please ensure you are definitely able to attend all dates and have signed them off with any line managers or colleagues before submitting your expression of interest form.
The programme is completely free of charge, however, due to being publicly funded we need to cover costs in a responsible way. If you miss more than one session or cancel in full less than 7 days before the programme starts on 15 January your organisation will incur a charge of £100.
To apply, please fill in the Expression of Interest form below:
Application deadline: Monday 9th December 2019, 5pm. We will let you know whether your application has been successful by 12th December
If you have any further questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Small Change® is a registered trademark of Alchemy Research & Consultancy, who will be delivering the programme on behalf of A New Direction.