The Young Challenge Group (YCG) is the youth advisory and advocacy group for Challenge London, A New Direction’s partnership investment programme.
Through Challenge London, A New Direction is investing over £900,000 in new initiatives that will enable new or different creative opportunities for children and young people across London.
The YCG champion cultural education for young people and ensure the aims of and investments through Challenge London remain grounded in the realities of young Londoners.
We are looking for 8 young Londoners to join the YCG from April 2019.
What do the Young Challenge Group do?
The Young Challenge Group:
- Meet once a month on a weekday evening at A New Direction’s office (sometimes with pizza and always with lots of snacks)
- Share their ideas with A New Direction about the Challenge London programme and beyond
- Ensure the aims of and investments through the Challenge remain grounded in the realities of young people in London.
- Meet with different members of the A New Direction team and learn about, discuss and share their opinions on different aspects of the creative and cultural sectors
During the first year of Challenge London, the YCG played a key role in the decision-making process for investments made through Challenge London, reviewing funding applications and sharing their feedback.
The YCG will continue to advise A New Direction on Challenge London, learn more about key challenges in the creative and cultural sector and advocate for a London where all young people have the opportunity to explore their creativity and influence decisions that impact lives.
Watch the film below to find out more about our current YCG cohort:
What do Young Challenge Group members get?
- Have new experiences and the chance to make a real difference to the creative and cultural opportunities for young people across the city
- Experience being ‘on the inside’ of a large-scale arts and creative programme
- Develop your team working, planning, presentation and networking skills
- Learn more about the creative and cultural sector and be part of one or more sessions with a visiting speaker or specialist from the arts sector
- Visit and learn about projects made by, with and for young people across the city
- Help plan and deliver an event for other young Londoners relating to the Challenge themes
- Share your ideas and feedback with A New Direction on Challenge London investments
- Advocate for creative and cultural opportunities for young Londoners
- Support with monitoring and evaluation of the Challenge London programme
Please complete the short expression of interest form below by Sunday 7th April 2019.
On the form you’ll be asked 2 questions:
- Tell us a little bit about you (what do you enjoy doing, what are your hobbies/interests etc.)
- Why do you want to be a member of the Young Challenge Group? (What excites or interests you most about being a part of the Young Challenge Group? What skills will you bring to the group or what skills are you hoping to develop? What experience do you hope to gain through taking part? What change do you want to see in creative and cultural opportunities for young Londoners?)
You’ll then be invited to an informal information and registration session over pizza on Tuesday 16th April 2019.
Up to £10 can be reimbursed towards your travel expenses to and from the event.
A New Direction are committed to our opportunities being accessible to all young Londoners. If you have any access requirements, need the expression of interest form or any of this information in a different format or would like to know more about being part of the YCG, please get in touch with Hasina on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0207 608 2132.
Please note: if you are under 18, you will not be able to participate in the Young Challenge Group without consent from your parent/guardian. If you are invited to join the Young Challenge Group you will be sent a consent form, which you will need to return to A New Direction before you can participate.